I think as a writer you are utterly at the mercy of the characters you create. For me the process of setting down the first draft goes something like this:
- Create an awesome main character.
- Fall in love a little bit.
- Forget other projects in excitement for shiny new character.
- Write a plot outline, more of a sketch really.
- Start writing- have a great time doing it!
- Character starts guiding the story away from your sketch.
- Panic and try to pull it back.
- Characters revolt.
- Delete ‘fix it’ scene in fear.
- Give in and allow characters to rule.
I have accepted this as my creative process. My current project is being co-opted by my main character. I’m floundering a bit. She wants the story to get a little dark, but I had purposefully created her to be fun and saucy. So she’s being shelved for a bit until she figures her shit out.
In the meantime, I am going to read. I have a bit of a back log on my Kindle since very little reading occurred over the holidays.